Liz's Baklava
Red: You haven't touched your baklava. Liz: You told him, and he's not interested?
Red: Just one bite.
Liz: I didn't come here for the baklava. I came here to talk about the negotiation.
Red seemed sure that the baklava would be a tremendous hit with Liz, but she wasn't interested. I decided to try it for myself to see what all the fuss was about.
I used this recipe, but I used Bee-Free Honee instead of agave nectar and for the nuts I used a mix of ~2 cups walnuts, ~3/4 cup almonds, and ~1/4 cup pecans. Despite the sinking feeling when I realized I didn't have enough time to defrost the phyllo dough, it all worked out. (Zach looked it up for me & found out that you can use the microwave! What a relief!) So everything came together pretty well, and the baklava turned out to be super sweet & nutty, a real treat.
If Barack Obama is willing to listen, he's welcome to enjoy a slice while I ramble on about veganism, anarchism, and maybe even The Blacklist, too.
| Check out those layers, lol! |
Bonus quote from the episode:
Red: Let's go on a field trip, shall we?
Buttons and Leela don't get the fuss about presidents; they feel that if presidents really were so great, they'd be able to handle simple things like making sure everyone is fed (since no one deserves to go hungry – one of Buttons' most firm beliefs) and ensuring that everyone has a warm, safe home (since housing is an undeniable right – Leela is baffled whenever anyone tries to debate her on this).
Peace. :)
I have literally ~never~ had baklava, vegan or otherwise. This looks so tasty though, I might have to give it a go one of these days! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jenny! Yes, definitely give it a try sometime; it's really good! :)
DeleteI've never had baklava either! Yours looks really good though! Obama would love it! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jill! :D
DeleteI haven't had Baklava in years and that's when I was lacto ovo veg so I know I haven't had a vegan version! This looks GREAT and I wish you could mail me some ;)
ReplyDeleteHaha, thanks, Jennifer! :D
DeleteYour baklava looks amazing!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Rosie! :D
DeleteOoh yum. I love Baklava! I have only ever made it once and that was before I was vegan so it had honey. I remember it was fun to make and we have a good honey sub in the UK called Sweet Freedom so I should give it a go with that.
ReplyDeleteThanks; it was indeed fun to make! & your honey substitute has such a nice name! :)
DeleteThat's really cute! We love the Blacklist, too, so that was as nice of a treat as your bakalva - which looks really good!
ReplyDeleteYay, more Blacklist fans! Thanks, Zsu! :D
Delete